Braised Celery. This braised celery really is such a simple side dish. Celery is braised in a mild chicken broth. A simple but flavorful side dish I often serve with spicier View image.
Braising mellows this stalky vegetable and brings out a rich, savory flavor. Braised celery might seem a bit old school, and that's because it is. But it's also really tasty and a nice change from kale if you ask me. You can have Braised Celery using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised Celery
- Prepare 1 head of celery, de-stringed and cut into about 5cm.
- Prepare 30 g of butter.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced.
- Prepare 220 g of hot vegetable or chicken stock.
- You need 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of Grounded black pepper.
Because celery is a stringy beast, this braised celery recipe is best. Celery finds its way into all kinds of dishes, but we rarely appreciate the stalks on their own. Get to know this vegetable anew by braising it with thyme in this easy, five-ingredient dish. Celery has such a lot going for it as a raw ingredient in salads, and because of that we rather forget how good it is cooked and served as a vegetable.
Braised Celery step by step
- Melt the butter in a frying pan along with the olive oil. Then fry the onions for 3-4 minutes over a medium to high heat..
- Next add the carrots and cook for a further 3 minutes..
- Add the celery and continue to fry for another 5-7 minutes..
- Season with salt and pepper and then pour in the hot stock and cover with lid..
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 20-30 minutes depending how soft you like your vegetables. Add any celery leaves 10 minutes before cooking is complete..
- Then remove the lid and increase the heat to medium and continue to simmer till the liquid has reduced and thickened..
- Serve the celery with all the juices and sprinkled with parsley..
Look for vegetables that are firm and bright in color – avoid those that are wilted or have wrinkled skins, which are signs of age. If you love raw celery then why not try this easy side dish of celery slow-cooked in chicken stock as an accompaniment to roast chicken. I made the Braised Celery, which shows you a tasty new way to approach celery. You take a dish of celery segments topped with a dose of sauteed aromatics (celery hearts, shallots, and thyme), and a. Braised Celery is a classic traditional dish from Ireland served best with grilled or roasted meats.