Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie. My new favorite squash is Delicata, an heirloom squash happily being rediscovered. Look for them in the winter squash section of your grocery store. You don't have to peel delicata squash to make these roasted squash slices.
There are tons of ways to turn delicata squash into dinner. You can slice it, or stuff it with meat or other veggies. You can roast it in the oven, sauté it in a pan, steam it, boil it, or cook it quickly in the microwave. You can have Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie
- It’s 4 of small delicata Squash, cleaned and cut in cubes.
- You need 2 of cups, water.
- Prepare 1 cup of cooked mashed potatoes.
- It’s 1 of vegan chicken bouillon cube.
- It’s 2 cups of cooked red lentils (or any lentil of your choice).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of each of chopped celery, onions and carrots.
- Prepare 1 can of tomato sauce, 8oz.
- You need 1 cup of thinly sliced green chard.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of Badia Mediterranean Blend.
- It’s 3 of crushed garlic cloves or 1tbsp of ajo.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- You need 1 tsp of liquid smoke.
- It’s to taste of Salt/pepper.
Delicata squash is a winter squash that doesn't get enough attention. Its small size makes it much easier to handle than other squashes and it cooks Yes! Delicata's skin is edible and is absolutely delicious. Be sure to wash the squash well before roasting as the skin is usually coated in a wax used.
Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie step by step
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Let it get slightly hot, then add onions, celery and carrots. Stir and cook for about 10-11 minutes or until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the green chard and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add the lentils, liquid smoke, mediterranean seasoning and tomato sauce to the veggies. Add another tbsp of coconut oil to keep the food from sticking to the pan. Cook for another 7-9 minutes. Set aside.
- Clean and cube the squash. In small pot, put in the squash, water and bouillon then cook for approx. 20-30 minutes on medium heat. Check the squash with a fork. If it's soft enough to go thru the fork then it's ready. When it's ready pour half of the liquid out of the pot. Add the cooked mashed potatoes to the squash then start to mash the ingredients together. When it becomes a smooth mixture, stir until fully blended..
- Take a 8"or 9" casserole dish and add the veggie mix to the dish. Evenly spread the mix throughout the dish. Take squash/potatoe mashed mix and put on top evenly coating the dish. Set oven to broil. Broil the dish for 10-15 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Bon Appetite!.
Delicata squash roasted brings out an exceptional sweetness that you have never tasted before! I recently discovered delicata squash and I cannot believe this squash has been missing from my life. I always thought it looked funny and figured that it was just like any other squash (i.e. hard to cut and. Delicata squash (Cucurbita pepo)—also known as peanut squash, Bohemian squash, or sweet potato squash—is favored for its delicate, edible skin. So if you love the taste of butternut squash but don't like the hassle of peeling that hard, impossible rind, delicata squash may be your.