Toad in the hole. Toad in the hole or Sausage Toad is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Nigel Slater shares the secrets behind his perfect toad in the hole recipe: skinless sausages, red hot dripping and a few hidden extras. Wrap each piece of skinned sausage meat in a piece of cured ham.
Toad in a hole, or toad in the hole, combines two British favorites to produce what many consider to be a tasty, though certainly not fat free, dish. Often, this dish is made on special occasions like Christmas dinners, and in the UK, it is often considered one of the ultimate comfort foods. This is a good recipe (I made them this morning for brunch) but it is not a classic Toad-in-a-hole which is comprised of sausages quickly browned in a skillet covered with Yorkshire pudding batter and finished in the oven. You can cook Toad in the hole using 5 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Toad in the hole
- Prepare of Pork and apple sausages.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- It’s of Milk (approx 100 ml).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of plain flour.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
Toad In The Hole is a traditional British dish. It typically consists of sausages (the toad) and batter (the hole). Transform toad-in-the-hole with melting mustardy cheddar and broccoli. Toad in the hole is the perfect winter dinner.
Toad in the hole instructions
- Heat the oven to maximum. Put the sausages in the dish alone. Cook them for about 15mins, then add the oil to the dish to get it really hot..
- Whilst the sausages are cooking beat together the flour,(its back in the shops at last!) milk and eggs to make the batter. If the batter is too thick add a little more milk..
- Once you are sure the oil is going to be really hot then pour the batter over the sausages, get it back in the oven. Door shut, and dont open for another 20 mins..
- Once cooked carefully set it down to cool for at least 10 mins before you try and serve it so you dont get burnt by spitting fat..
What's not to love about sausages in crispy batter? Make a well in the middle. Using a whisk, mix the eggs with the milk and sparkling water in a jug. Foolproof recipe for individual toad in the hole – aka the best comfort food ever. Sausages baked into crisp and fluffy Yorkshire pudding.