Greek Pastitsio. Pastitsio is a favorite traditional Greek dinner recipe. It's a Greek version of lasagna- characterized by a white and creamy bechamel sauce used in place of marinara and a hint of cinnamon. The Best Greek Pastitsio recipe (Pastichio)!
Greek lasagna from my friend's Greek grandma ~ layers of cinnamon-lace beef, Kasseri cheese and creamy béchamel sauce. Greek pastitsio (Pastichio) – a layer of pasta with cheese, layer of delicious meat mixture with tomato sauce and covered with third layer of rich béchamel. Pastitsio is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish that is sometimes called Greek lasagna, but it's made with large tubular pasta. You can have Greek Pastitsio using 32 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Greek Pastitsio
- Prepare of Main Ingredients.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of margarine, melted.
- You need 2 large of onion, chopped.
- It’s 3 large of carrots, peeled & finely chopped.
- It’s 3 stick of celery, finely chopped.
- Prepare 4 clove of crushed fresh garlic.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 2 can of chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of beef stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cloves.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 2 tsp of sugar.
- You need of Freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare 2 lb of ground beef (80/20).
- It’s of Pasta.
- Prepare 1 lb of ziti, cooked.
- It’s 1 of egg, beaten.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for topping.
- It’s of Bechamel Sauce.
- You need 1 quart of milk.
- Prepare 1 cup of (2 sticks) margarine.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 of Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 2 of eggs, beaten.
- You need 2 tbsp of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Greek Pastitsio – baked pasta dish by Greek chef Akis Petretzikis. A delicious Greek recipe made with ziti pasta, ground meat, béchamel sauce cheeses and herbs! A simple authentic recipe for Pastitsio- a baked Greek pasta dish with a rich flavorful lamb (or beef) bolognese infused with Greek spices and flavors. See more ideas about Pastitsio, Greek pastitsio, Greek recipes.
Greek Pastitsio instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F..
- Meat Sauce Directions:.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and saute onion, garlic, carrots, celery until soft and fragrant. Add the ground beef, stirring continuously, until all the meat is cooked and browned. Drain and add the tomatoes, paste, beef stock, bay leaves, herbs and sugar and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, then remove the bay leaves..
- For Pasta:.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, boil the pasta till al dente..
- Mix the beaten egg with the parmesan cheese and toss with cooked & drained pasta..
- For the Bechamel Sauce:.
- Heat the milk in medium saucepan over low heat. In separate medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine, then add the flour and mix well. Stir in the heated milk one tablespoon at a time, and stir until smooth. Stir in spices & cheese. Season to taste. Keep warm until ready to use..
- To Assemble dish:.
- Spray a large casserole dish generously with nonstick spray. Combine pasta with half the Bechamel Sauce. Transfer half of the pasta to baking dish. Spread all the meat sauce over pasta. Cover with remaining pasta. Top with Bechamel Sauce and sprinkle with more grated Parmigiano. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven and let rest about 5 minutes. Serve with salad and crust bread..
Lightened up, yet delectable and flavor-packed baked pasta with Greek-spiced meat sauce and a. Pastitsio is to Greeks what lasagne are to the Italians and what mac and cheese is to Americans – intensely In Greece, pastitsio is often enjoyed in February, during the weeks that precede Lent. Pastitsio is a Greek pasta bake made with pasta, meat sauce and bechamel sauce. A traditional Greek lasagna called pastitsio (pasticcio) – layers of ziti pasta, beef sauce, bechamel Pastitsio is a very good example. This dish is widely popular in Greek cuisine but I knew nothing.