Congee for the Instant Pot. Instant Pot Congee is a warm and comforting porridge with endless possibilities for fun toppings. This classic dish is made easy with modern equipment. Once it reaches high pressure, the float valve will be elevated (it's that.
Instant Pot Congee (鸡肉菠菜粥) – This is your perfect one-bowl dinner. It takes only a quarter of the time of the stovetop version. Even waiting for the pressure to release naturally, you'll still finish the dish with half in the time of the. You can cook Congee for the Instant Pot using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Congee for the Instant Pot
- It’s 3/4 cup (173 g) of Jasmine rice (using standard 250 ml cup) (or white rice).
- Prepare 6.5-7 cups of cold water (using standard 250 ml cup).
- It’s 5 of – 6 chicken drumsticks (or chicken thighs).
- You need 1 of small onion finely chopped/diced.
- You need 1 tablespoon of ginger, minced or puréed.
- It’s of Garlic – 2 or more cloves minced.
- It’s of Green onions for garnish.
- It’s of Salt (to taste).
- Prepare 2-4 cups of shredded cabbage (SAVE THIS until the very end) this also can be optional.
- You need of Optional: serve with peanuts, crispy garlic, see notes below.
Simple and easy Instant Pot Chicken Congee is such a comforting dish on a cold day–or really any day at all. Just dump and cook for a delicious meal! There is no need to soak the rice for this jook recipe as we are cooking this in the Instant Pot. Cooking under pressure takes away the necessity of.
Congee for the Instant Pot instructions
- Rinse 173g (3/4 standard cup) of rice in the pot under cold water by gently scrubbing the rice with your fingertips in a circling motion. Pour out the milky water, and continue to rinse until water is clear. Drain well. Peel onion and run under cold water so that if the onion is sharp it will not sting your eyes as much when you dice it..
- Add finely chopped onion, minced ginger, minced garlic (I use a pampered chef to assist in my chopping as I am horrible with knives), 5-6 chicken drumsticks and 6.5 – 7 cups of cold water (using standard 250 ml cup) into the pot. Do not add salt at this point. (The ratio is 1 cup rice to 9 – 9.75 cups of water).
- Close the lid on the instant pot and cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Then do a Natural Release in the Instant Pot..
- Open the lid carefully. The congee will look watery at this point. At this point, you could add the optional 2-3 cups cabbage. Stir in the shredded cabbage – it will wilt down and cook enough from the residual heat in the pot..
- Heat up the pot (Instant Pot: press Sauté button), stir until desired thickness & consistency. Season with salt..
- If needed, use tongs and fork to separate the chicken meat from the bones (they literally fall off the bone) and remove the chicken bones and skin (if desired). It is better to use chicken or meat with the bone in for nutrients and flavour but it is not a deal breaker if you do not..
- Remove congee from heat and garnish with green onions. You can serve immediately. Please see notes for ideas of what to serve with congee..
- Notes You can easily customize the congee by adding toppings like crispy garlic, fried shallots, roasted salted peanuts, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a 350F oven or in a pot on the stovetop..
Instant Pot Congee is quick and easy to make. It's a one pot chicken and rice Instant Pot meal. Make this jook recipe for breakfast or for dinner. Even year-round though, Instant Pot Congee (or Instant Pot Jook, however you prefer to call it) is my go-to whenever I'm feeling a little under the weather. Making congee in the Instant Pot is simple, and much faster than making it the traditional stovetop way.