Tamale Pie. Most tamale pies consists of a flavorful ground beef base and cornbread topping. Tamale pie is not remotely Mexican and only somewhat resembles the flavor of real tamales. I always loved tamale pie as a kid, fortunately it was often served in our school cafeteria.
While this tamale pie has very little to do with its south-of-the-border namesake, it's a really delicious recipe all the same. Reviews for: Photos of Hot Tamale Pie. Unlike other Tamale pies that start with a corn bread crust, this one uses masa harina typical of traditional tamales. You can cook Tamale Pie using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tamale Pie
- Prepare of Tamale filling.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of medium onion minced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of chili powder.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves minced.
- You need 1 lb of lean ground beef.
- It’s 15 oz of can black beans drained and rinsed.
- It’s 14 oz of can diced tomatoes drained.
- You need 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- It’s 2 tbsp of cilantro minced.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Cornbread topping.
- It’s 3/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of melted and cooled unsalted butter.
It is then steam-baked in the oven and topped with salsa. This Tamale Pie recipe with a cornbread crust is something even the novice cook can make. It is a recipe that tastes far better than the amount of skill. See more ideas about tamale pie, recipes, mexican food recipes. · This chicken tamale pie is a huge crowd pleaser and so easy to make!
Tamale Pie instructions
- Set oven to 450°.
- FOR THE FILLING: heat oil in a dutch oven or oven safe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and chili powder and heat for 5 min stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds..
- Stir in beef, beans, and tomatoes and cook for anothe 5 min. Add cheese and cilantro and season with salt..
- FOR THE CORNBREAD TOPPING: whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl beat egg into buttermilk. Combine with cornmeal mixture. Add butter, stir, and dollop over filling, spread evenly..
- Bake for 12-15 min. Serve hot..
A corn cake bottom layer topped with shredded chicken. This chicken tamale pie is a huge crowd pleaser and so easy to make! A corn cake bottom layer topped with shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheese. This Tamale Pie Recipe is so simple to make and is so delicious! I LOVE tamales but I don't love the time it takes to make them.