Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes. This Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so scrumptious. The perfect fall recipe and the ultimate comfort food that can be on your dinner table in no time. Layered vegan shepherd's pie delivers a rich filling of lentils, ginger, tomato, and warm spices under a coconut milk and sweet potato mash.
The base is a simple mixture of vegetables and lentils simmered with fresh thyme in vegetable broth until tender and flavorful. The sweet potatoes bake in the oven for a while but it's really a hands-off element to the dish. And then The filling is made on the stove top. You can have Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes
- Prepare of Vegetables.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of celery.
- Prepare 1 cup of fennel.
- You need 1 medium of tomato.
- You need 1 small of zucchini.
- You need 1 packages of mushrooms.
- You need of Meat.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 1/2 lb of sausage.
- You need 6 1/2 oz of can tomato paste.
- Prepare of Topping.
- It’s 2 medium of sweet potatoes, mashed.
I loaded the filling with baby bella mushrooms, carrots and a bunch of spices. Cumin and oregano are not traditional in shepherd's pie but I added them because I. Made with grassfed ground beef and veggies, it's a hearty, affordable and healthy dinner staple. Shepherd's pie filled with ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping.
Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes step by step
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cook in the microwave with one quarter cup of water until done.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound sausage, 1 cup of fennel, 1 1/2 cup of celery, and 1 medium onion.
- Season the meat mixture to taste.
- Blend the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Cut up remaining vegetables including a summer squash 1 medium tomato and mushrooms.
- Once the meat mixture is cooked to add the vegetables plus one 6 ounce can tomato paste to it.
- Cover until heated through then transfer to a cake pan.
- Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes then use the broiler to brown the top.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes so the goodness congeals together.
This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie. I also have a meatless version, Portobello. Authentic shepherd's pie is a comfort food classic, but there's no room in my diet or grocery budget for a heavy dish of ground lamb or beef and buttery potatoes, except as an occasional treat. Lentils and mushrooms are more my speed, and sweet potatoes, roasted until creamy-soft. Shepherd's pie is a classic casserole of ground meat and vegetables topped with fluffy mashed potatoes.