Chinese Braised Beef Shank (酱牛肉). This is common appetizer served in China: thinly sliced beef, served cold. Using a pressure cooker makes the cooking process a lot faster! Beef shank is braised in a well-seasoned broth then sliced into thin pieces to serve.
It is typically served as a cold appetizer. But it is quite delicious warm. Clean the beef shank: before cooking your beef shank, rinse under running water to clean and then place them in a large pot with enough cold water. You can cook Chinese Braised Beef Shank (酱牛肉) using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chinese Braised Beef Shank (酱牛肉)
- You need 2 lb of beef shank.
- You need 3 of cinnamon stick (桂皮).
- You need 1 of cao guo (草果).
- Prepare 4 of star anise (八角).
- You need 4 of bay leaf (香叶).
- It’s 1 of small handful of Sichuan pepper (花椒).
- Prepare 1 of small handful of cumin (小茴香).
- Prepare 4 pieces of dried chili pepper (reduce or none if no spicy).
- You need A few of green onion.
- Prepare 4 slices of fresh ginger.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s A few of white rock sugar (冰糖).
- Prepare 1/3 cup of soy sauce (生抽).
- It’s 4 teaspoon of dark soy sauce (老抽).
- You need 1 cup of Sake or cooking wine.
Ideal meats to braise: beef shank, oxtails, chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, chicken gizzards, duck wings, pig's ears and trotters, pork bones — really almost anything, but those traditionally scrapped meats are particularly transformed into luscious goodness by a trip through this braising liquid! Braised Beef was a favorite food of mine as a child. After I left college, I lived in a foreign country for a long time. Every time I returned home, my mother always remembered to soothe my stomach, taste buds and soul by once again cooking my favorite pot of beef.
Chinese Braised Beef Shank (酱牛肉) instructions
- Prepare all ingredients..
- Cut beef shank to proper size. Wash with water. Soak in water and place in the fridge for 1 hr. Change water multiple times during the process to remove blood..
- Drain or remove excess water with paper towel. Place in freezer for 1 hr..
- Place a pot on stove. Add water and bring to boil. Add all solid and liquid spices. Make sure the broth can fully submerge the meat. When broth starts to boil again, place meat in pot and braise for 1.5 hrs on medium/medium-low..
- Remove pot from stove. Soak the meat in broth and let it cool down. When it reaches room temperature, place the pot of meat and broth in fridge and let the meat absorb more flavor overnight. Cut meat into slices and enjoy with some soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil!.
A favorite Taiwanese cold appetizer, this braised beef shank recipe is perfect as a side dish as well. Growing up in Taiwan, one of my favorite snacks is this thinly sliced braised beef shank. Coming home from school, I just grab a few slices from the fridge and much on them as I do my homework. Chinese Braised Beef Shank is a great make ahead Chinese food that can be eaten hot, cold, or even room temperature. Just make sure there is enough for everyone because it will go quick.