Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil).
You can cook Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil) using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil)
- You need of boneless pork shoulder.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
- You need of cilantro, minced.
- It’s of lime, wedged.
- You need of Marinade.
- Prepare of orange juice.
- You need of lime juice.
- You need of garlic, minced.
- Prepare of cumin.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- You need of cilantro (or parsley), chopped.
- It’s of olive oil.
- You need of More salt and pepper.
Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil) instructions
- Combine all the marinade ingredient in a large ziplock bag (2.5 gallon) or bowl. Debone/deskin the shoulder if needed. Add it to the marinade and turn to coat. Marinate at least 1 hour in the fridge but overnight is better..
- Remove the roast, and truss with string. This keeps the roast together so it cuts and subsequently cooks better later. Salt the meat side of the roast again. This roast can take a decent amount of salt..
- Pre heat your oven to 400F. If you have a convection oven, now is the time to use it. In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and sear the pork skin side up in the dutch oven. Salt and pepper the top (fat side) and then immediately transfer the roast in the dutch oven to the oven and cook at 400F uncovered for 1 hour. After 1 hour, reduce the oven temp to 300F and cook an additional 4 hours (or until the roast is 195F).
- Remove the roast from the oven and marvel at that crust..
- Cover the roast with the lid, and let rest while you prepare sides. I recommend beans and yellow rice in the Cuban tradition..